Why do we never learn about local history?

05 January 2007
Of course, I'm stuck in lovely Simi Valley, California, a landlocked little redneck town just too far east in Ventura County for access to all the lovely streams of Ventura and Ojai. Drat, I say.
The closest and easiest lake is Lake Cachuma, although I hear there are a few good streams in Ojai.
Speaking of Ojai, I've recently come across the Matilija Dam removal project, and I'm absolutely fascinated. I had no idea we had such a productive steelhead run through Ojai and Ventura. One of the largest in the state. Wild. This old dam is now in the process of being deconstructed to restore the ecosystem of Matilija Creek. I'm going to continue researching the project. My father mentioned the Matilija Dam in passing a few times, but I never knew about the controversy or the steelhead run.
I'm finding information at:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/pjenkin/matilija/index.htm
and
http://www.matilijadam.org/

Incredible. More news on this later.

2 comments:

The Mad Fishicist said...

hey iris,
my family all lives in or near chatsworth. every time i visit i can only think of how to escape out to ojai. seems like the best bet for a great fishing experience. great blog.
tmf

Anonymous said...

Good post.